Wednesday, May 14, 2008

I was literally drenched with sweat. It was a hot Thursday afternoon, and all around me was the sound of basketball shoes sweaking against the floor. It was game point for our team and the ball was in my hands. I pulled up for a shot. SWISH! A round of 'high five's' went round...


In that moment, I think I had an epiphany...this is what I was made for...

OK, hang on a minute. If God made me for basketball, then he didn't do very well because I am not good at all. I mean, if God made me for basketball, shouldn't I be able to throw down like Lebron James???


Just like there is not 'a way' to understanding God's will. I don't think that there is ONE thing that we are made for. I am a son, a brother, a teacher, a friend, a blogger, an average basketball player...the list could go on.


The thing I begin to realise is that in life, there really is no recipe. There are so many different things that make up who we are, that defining ourselves to one title would be lying.


When you first meet someone, you get an initial impression of what they are like. However, as you get to know that person more, you view of him/her will change. You find out about their pains, struggles, hates, joys and loves.....

"Human life- mind, body, spirit and soul - is too intricate and wonderfully fashioned to be reduced to a recipe for meaning" (Kyle Lake)

And this is true. If we were made for just ONE purpose, we would be no more that robots or machines. Like God is a German architect, creating the most efficent machines in order to 'carry out his will'. But I do not think this is the case.

And so, let us not be hasty to define ourselves...but live life and live it well.

1 comment:

Claire said...
This comment has been removed by the author.